We started strictly as a purebred Black Angus Farm. As a result of customer requests for other products we later added Berkshire pigs and heritage breed chickens. Now, we cannot imagine the farm without our chickens “Lucy”, “Braveheart” et al. Our farm products include Heritage Berkshire Pork and fresh eggs along with Black Angus Beef. The Berkshires are raised exclusively by order for our Angus Side clients. Read more about “Heritage Breeds“.
Our Feeding Protocol
- Our cows are pastured on fields during the growing season that are tested (soil analysis) and appropriately fertilized. These fields are herbicide and pesticide-free.
- We changed our feeding protocol for our cattle in January 2011 from a grass-based, daily grains system to exclusively 100% grass fed. Through education, customer inquiries about the dietary benefits of “grass-fed” beef, and ultimately the health and welfare of our cows, we have converted to exclusively grass-fed cattle. After years of observation, we have noticed that the cattle have done really well. Their coats are shiny, their eyes bright and the calves gain weight and size at a rate that does not meet that of a grass/grain fed beef animal, but they do fine for our business model and our customers. The tenderness, flavor and juiciness , we are told, rivals that of premium grain fed beef and is unsurpassed by any other grass fed beef, anywhere.
- During non-pasture seasons, the cows are provided with premium quality hay that is available to them 24/7 free-choice.
- Our cows enjoy free-choice minerals designed specifically for grass fed beef animals and free-choice clean water 24/7. During the non-pasture season, the cows use a climate-controlled automatic watering system which is sourced directly from our well. We have discovered that quality and availability of water is often overlooked for farm animals.
- Our “Berks” are treated like royalty. And considering that all purebred Berkshires can be traced back to the herd kept by the “House of Windsor”, that’s not a bad thing. We purchase our berks as 8 week old piglets from a registered herd and Berkshire breeder in Cromwell, Ct. We pick them up in our straw filled trailer and they are outside the rest of their lives. They graze, root and have a self feeder that is always filled with all natural, non-medicated, grains. They are loved every day and are very friendly.
Humane Treatment – We believe that our free-range farming methods are environmentally friendly and healthful. We are convinced that our cows and pigs undergo less stress with our free-choice food and watering methods and therefore produce a higher quality of meat. Certainly a happy and contented animal.
Beef Production – There are no preservatives in the processing of our beef. We do not use any hormonal implants to make our animals grow faster and bigger. Our grass-fed methods of beef production are clearly better for the environment, better for the cattle and better for our customers’ health.
Pork Production – There are no preservatives in the processing of our fresh pork meat. If some smoked meat (bacon for instance) is desired, the additives are water, salt, brown sugar, dextrose, sodium nitrate and smoke flavoring. We do not use any hormonal implants to make our animals grow faster and bigger. Our grass-grains fed methods of pork production are clearly better for the environment, better for the pigs and better for our customers’ health.
All our meats are processed and packaged at Adams Farm in Athol, MA, and The Local Butcher in Barnstead, NH. Both USDA certified and inspected facilities which we are lucky and proud to be associated with.
How to Buy a Side of Beef or Pork
The next best thing to growing your own meat is to buy beef in bulk from your local farmer. The advantages of buying in bulk include superior quality meat, fewer trips to the grocery store, buying meat that is already packaged for freezing, uniformity of product and excellent pricing. Buying a Side of Beef and Pork is a great idea if you you eat meat often, have storage space, like to cook, and quality is important to you.
Our Black Angus Beef: You will receive individually packaged retail cuts whether you buy it by the side or individual piece. We try to process our beef in late October or November and then it is ready for customer pick up in December or January. We also have a limited processing in the spring. We need to make our appointments for processing 6 months in advance. We will deliver for a fee – whatever the mileage allowable by the IRS at the time of delivery is and is calculated from our farm to your home. Our custom built freezer/trailer will ensure that it is completely frozen upon delivery to your door step. Quantities are limited so please contact us to find out our product availability. We are now taking orders for 2014.See Custom-Cut Angus Beef Chart (pdf).
Also see Beef Made Easy Chart (pdf). Angus Beef Individual Cut Price list (pdf). Angus Beef Individual Cut list for Angus side or whole. Angus Beef Side price for 2014 is $6.09 lbs hanging weight individual cut and packaged. Price same as 2013. The above charts show various beef cuts such as chuck, rib, loin, round and sirloin along with their recommended cooking methods. A chuck steak, for example, makes an excellent roast but isn’t as pleasing when pan-broiled. Cuts from the short loin may be sauteed, pan-fried, broiled, or grilled. The porterhouse steak is a very popular steak cut from the short loin. It consists of a tenderloin and sirloin tip. The Tenderloin is often considered the most tender cut of beef.
Our Heritage Berkshire Pork: Described as the “Kobe Beef” of pork. You will receive individually packaged retail cuts whether you buy it by the side or individual cuts.
We purchase and raise piglets by order and only for our Angus side clients. Our berks order has been closed and they on order for 2014. We try to process our pork in early September and then it is ready for customer pick up October. This includes the time needed to cure (smoke) any specified cuts. We make our appointments for processing 6 months in advance. We will deliver for a fee – whatever the mileage allowable by the IRS at the time of delivery is and is calculated from our farm to your home. Our custom built freezer/trailer will ensure that it is completely frozen upon delivery to your door step. Read more about Berkshires.See Custom-Cut Pork Chart (pdf).
Also see Hog Carcass Breakdown (pdf). Berkshire Pork Individual Cut Price List (pdf). See Berkshire Pork Individual Cut list for Berkshire side or whole (pdf). Berkshire Pork Side price for 2014 is $6.11 lbs hanging weight individual cut and packaged. Smoking extra. Price same as 2014. Heritage Berkshire Pork is famous for the perfect combination of juiciness, flavor and tenderness. The superior flavor and marbling makes it the ideal choice for everything from tasty barbecued chops to moist delicious hams.
Tender Porterhouse Steak from Grass-Fed Black Angus Cattle